Wikimedia CH is a not-for-profit association, the Swiss chapter of the international Wikimedia Movement. It promotes free knowledge, in particular through the Wikipedia encyclopedia and other associated projects. As a grassroots organisation, it currently employs twelve people and works with a community of members and volunteers. In order to fill a vacancy as soon as possible but at the latest June 2022 onwards, we are currently recruiting a:
Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums (GLAM) Lead for Switzerland, 100%
Wikimedia CH’s GLAM Programme has proven to be very successful over the last years; the newly published oprganisational 5 year strategy will allow further expansion, focalisation and consolidation in the area. In the GLAM Lead role, you will be responsible for the strategic accompaniment, monitoring and reporting of WMCH’s GLAM efforts in Switzerland as well as working on, potentially managing and promoting international GLAM related projects with our diverse partners and cultural institutions. You will ensure the leadership for currently one GLAM associated staff member who will support you in your daily tasks. You feel like “a fish in the water” in a Swiss multilingual associative environment, regularly reaching out and working with international stakeholders.
If you speak various languages, like to self-organise and travel foremost across Switzerland plus have solid project management experience with a technical understanding, then we are looking forward to hearing from you!
• Further develop, restructure, grow and implement the GLAM strategy in a sustainable manner and in line with the current Wikimedia CH 5-year plan.
• Lead, manage and develop currently one staff member in a way that allows for the delegation of projects and some operational workload.
• Nurture successful programmess and formats while expanding and integrating new areas of activities over the next years.
• Build up a professional GLAM partnership management structure, implying the improvement of the organisational structure, processes, guidelines and policies for GLAM and the creation of a clearly defined service offering for GLAM institutions with all the necessary workflows.
• Support the yearly focus of Wikimedia CH with relevant GLAM partners and activities (i.e. 2022 is the “Year of Sound/Audio).
• Ensure the engagement and mobilisation of GLAM partners and the GLAM community to take on leadership over single events and projects.
• Strengthen the GLAM tech aspect in Wikimedia CH’s GLAM programme by sharing projects with other Wikimedia Chapters and the international Wikimedia Community.
• Support initiatives driven by GLAM partners to integrate Wikimedia CH projects into their platforms as well as invest in new ones.
• Expand Wikimedia CH’s international awareness campaigns.
• Foster and support current DACH related projects/programmes and engage in promising new ones.
• Foster long-term commitment and collaboration among Wikimedia CH’s partners and stakeholders.
• Closely work, exchange and collaborate with other team members from Wikimedia CH responsible for fundraising, education, communication, community and innovation.
• Availability for regular travel within Switzerland and sometimes abroad.
Mandatory Job-related skills/competencies:
• Fluent in (Swiss) German (at least C1), English (at least C1) and French (at least B2); nice to have: Italian (B1/B2)
• Willingness to work on flexible work schedules (also sometimes evenings and weekends), due to the nature of Wikimedia CH’s work
• Ability and willingness to work internationally with partners and stakeholders
• Strong writing/speaking skills in the relevant languages (clarity, focussed, expression, results-oriented), 7 years +
• Strong strategic thinking and proven leadership skills
• A bachelor’s degree in business administration, culture management or equivalent
• Knowledge of the cultural sector in Switzerland and possibly abroad
• Tech savviness and general understanding
• Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in project management
• Excellent analytical skills and proficiency in solving problems
• Hands-on personality: demonstrated capacity to get things done in a flexible environment
• Multicultural and virtual experience (knowledge of the NGO sector and technology is an advantage)
• Knowledge of standard communication and Office tools and measures (online and offline)
• Proven ability to work in a virtual environment in an autonomous manner
• Proficient with measuring impact and reaching goals
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to delegate and to work as a team member on shared projects with other stakeholders or programme managers
• Strong intercultural competence and a “can do” attitude
• Self-starter, pro-active, and results-oriented with an excellent capacity to organize him/herself
• A “thick skin” and effective conflict management skills
• The capacity to work effectively in a virtual team, to delegate and to share
• Willing to take on responsibility and to work on flexible schedules
• Ability to self-manage the workload and pressure that might come with it
• Strong online collaboration skills
• Good understanding of technology (IT, wiki, social media)
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
• Excellent relation management and building skills
• An understanding of free knowledge with a commitment to this value
• Flexibility and willingness to learn and to evolve
• We offer a position in a modern not-for-profit setting, inside a high-profile association with interesting and varied tasks and the possibility of development. Being a virtual organisation without a physical office, the candidate will be home-based, frequently travelling across Switzerland and sometimes abroad. Any location in Switzerland would be possible.
• Starting salary 13 months, from 94k CHF onwards, depending on expertise.
• Attractive pension fund and benefits
• Contract foreseen for 100%
• The position reports to the Executive Director of Wikimedia CH
Closing date for applications is set to April 15, 2022 and applications should be addressed electronically to email@example.com including your CV and a cover letter. Please do not attach certificates or indicate references at this point!
Please only apply if you write/speak the required languages!