Under the direction of SNSF Eccellenza Professor Bernhard C. Schär and as part of an SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation) project entitled "Moral and economic entrepreneurship in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Europe. A collaborative history of Global Switzerland, c. 1830-1900", the Institute of Political Studies (IEP) invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher SNSF position
More detailed description of the project: https://bit.ly/3D5qveH
Start date: 01.04.2022 (or to be agreed)
Duration of contract: 1 year, renewable, maximum 4 years.
Rate of activity: 100%.
Salary: according to the SNSF salary scale
Workplace: Lausanne-Dorigny, Géopolis
• Development and implementation of a sub-project under the direction of the project leader
• Writing of scientific articles
• Presentation of research results at conferences in Switzerland and abroad
• Cooperation with researchers in partner countries
• Participation in the organization of scientific conferences
• Participation in dissemination projects with museums and artists
• Participation in teaching
• Participation in the activities of the Centre for International History and Policy Studies on Globalization (CHRIM)
Job description: see specifications (in french)
• Doctorate in world history, colonial history, Brazilian, African, Indian or Swiss history or equivalent qualification.
• Knowledge and experience of proven research in archives and with 19th century sources.
• Familiarity with postcolonial and decolonial theories.
• A high degree of autonomy to conduct research in Europe and in Brazil, South Africa or India.
• An inquisitive personality, willing to collaborate with researchers from Latin America, Southern Africa and South Asia.
• Excellent oral and written English; reading skills in German and French; knowledge of other languages such as Portuguese, Sesotho, Kannada, or Hindi would be an advantage.
• Experience in the field of "public history" (media, museums, podcasts, art or activism, etc.) is an asset.
What the position offers you
• Institutional affiliation to the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of the UNIL.
• A stimulating, international research environment at UNIL with close exchanges to additional universities in Switzerland and abroad Possibility to participate in conferences and to apply for complementary measures of the SNSF under certain conditions (Flexibility Grant, mobility, equality grant).
• A pleasant working environment in a multicultural and diverse academic environment.
• Continuing education opportunities, a multitude of activities and other benefits to discover.
More information on www.unil.ch/carrieres
Application deadline: 31 January 2022
The application must contain the following elements:
1. Letter of motivation
2. Detailed CV with list of publications if applicable
3. A copy of university degrees, with a copy of official transcripts
4. Chapter of the thesis or a publication
5. Name and contact details of 2 reference persons
We kindly ask you to send us your complete application in Word or PDF format.
Only applications sent through this website will be considered.
Thank you for your understanding.