The Chair for Modern History at the University of Bern (Prof C. Dejung, PhD) invites applications for a
full-time PhD Position in Modern History.
(19th and 20th century)
This is a four year fixed-term position, starting on 1 September 2021 (negotiable), with a probation period of six months.
Successful applicants will be joining one of Europe's leading History Departments at a Top Research University (ranked #107 in Best Global Universities 2021) with thriving doctoral and postdoctoral communities. The position offers attractive working conditions.
In addition to working on their own research project, successful applicants will assist in research and teaching activities at the Chair of Modern History and engage in academic citizenship in the department.
• Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Outstanding undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Modern History (or a closely related subject)
• A completed outstanding MA and an innovative PhD proposal in 19th or 20th century history
• A research focus for their PhD project in at least one or several of the following fields: modern European or American history, global history, colonial history, social and economic history; ideally, dissertations should tie in with or complement, respectively, the research focus of the modern history group
• Excellent research, methodological and organizational skills
• Advanced German communication skills (desirable)
Applications need to include the following documents (in German or English) in one single PDF file:
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum Vitae, including publication list, grants and awards where applicable
• Certificates of all Academic Degrees (BA and MA academic transcripts or equivalent)
• A summary of the proposed PhD project (2000 words maximum)
two examples of written work or publications , e.g. 2 articles or 2 dissertation chapters (in German, French, Italian or English)
• the names and contact details of two referees who will be contacted for those applicants invited for an interview
Applications have to be submitted online only ("Apply now") until 18 June 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person or via Zoom. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.