The Swiss National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) for migration and mobility studies nccr – on the move brings together research projects from the social sciences, economics and law. Managed from the University of Neuchâtel, the network comprises eight Higher Education Institutions in Switzerland. The nccr – on the move promotes equal opportunities, values diversity and fosters an inclusive research and learning environment.
At the University of Neuchâtel we have open positions for
1 Doctoral Researcher (70%, for 4 years)
1 Postdoctoral Researcher (70%, for 3 years)
To contribute to the research project “A European Desert: The Territorial Politics and Economics of Regional Emigration in Crisis Regions”, directed by Jean-Thomas Arrighi, Sean Mueller and Olivier Crevoisier. Both researchers are expected to start on 1 June 2022 or shortly after, for a period of maximum 48 months (for the doctoral position) and 36 months (for the postdoctoral position).
– Strong motivation to make an original and substantive contribution to the aims and objectives of the research project.
– Completed (or nearly completed) MA degree (for the doctoral position) or PhD degree (for the postdoctoral position) in social science (political science, political economy, contemporary history, human geography, social anthropology, a.o.).
– Demonstrated interest in migration and mobility studies and / or regional politics. – Excellent written and oral command of academic English.
– Experience in comparative and historical research methods – Ability to conduct field research in several countries
– Fluency in French, German, Italian or Spanish
– Fluency in other languages
The Doctoral Researcher will participate in an interdisciplinary doctoral program coordinated by the nccr – on the move. Collaboration with network members and regular event attendance are required in both positions. The University of Neuchâtel and the nccr – on the move promote equal opportunities, value diversity and are committed to an inclusive research and learning environment. Salaries are in accordance with the regulations of the Swiss National Science Foundation. The nccr – on the move offers support measures for researchers with childcare duties and for early career scholars as well as numerous opportunities for academic exchange.
Send a motivation letter (max 2 pages), an academic CV (incl. contact details of two referees) and a written sample in English (e.g., MA / PhD thesis or academic publication / essay) in one pdf file to email@example.com by 24 April 2022. Use this address as well for questions regarding the position or project. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in May.